HUD Section 184 (for Native Americans)


HUD Section 184 – Native American Home Loans

The HUD Section 184 Loan Program is a home mortgage specifically designed for Native American and Alaskan native tribal members. Section 184 loans are guaranteed 100% by the Office of Loan Guarantee within HUD’s Office of Native American Programs.


Who can qualify for a Section 184 Loan?

  • At least one borrower on the loan must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized Tribe

  • The loan can be used for the purchase of a primary residence

  • A borrower may only have one Section 184 loan at a time

  • The loan can be used anywhere within the state of Arizona, including on reservation lands

  • Borrowers must meet the credit standard required by the program

  • Borrowers must have a 2 year work history (to be able to use their income to qualify)

  • Down Payment funds must come from an acceptable source


What are the benefits of a Section 184 Loan?

  • Low down payment: 2.25% of the sales price (if over $50,000)

  • Qualification is not credit score driven – the borrowers must meet the credit standard required by the program

  • Low interest rates – based on market rates

  • Annual mortgage insurance is .25% and a one-time upfront fee of 1.5% is paid at closing or can be financed into your loan. 

  • The program utilizes a hands-on approach to underwriting and approval, allowing borrowers the chance to explain different circumstances

  • Funds for closing, including down payment & closing costs, can be from the borrower’s funds, gift or loan from family, the Tribe or other approved non-profit         

  • No income restrictions

  • Sellers can contribute up to 6% of the sales price towards closing costs

  • Reserves may be required 


Basic documents required:

  • Current tribal enrollment card or certificate

  • Drivers license

  • Social Security card

  • Pay stubs covering the most recent 30 days

  • W2s and/or 1099s for the last 2 years

  • Federal tax returns for the last 2 years

  • Bank statements for the most recent 2 months or quarter

  • Retirement statements for the most recent  2 months or quarter

  • Contact information for landlords for the last 2 years


NOTE: This is not an all-inclusive list! Other documents may be required for specific situations!

To prequalify, your credit will be checked and we will look at your work history, income, current monthly payments and source of funds.

How do I get prequalified?

To see if you prequalify for the HUD 184 loan please complete an online application.  

Please contact our certified Section 184 loan specialist, Jheri Tenge, at 480-695-7033 or